[AccessD] The list

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 17 11:36:27 CDT 2012

 > The consensus was to let AccessD wither through inaction. One year later, I agree with Tony: the
group's plan worked, and AccessD has withered.

My recollection was to have you and Tony come up with a plan of action to cause Microsoft to enhance
the product such that there was a massive new buzz and, with millions of Access jobs pouring out of
the re-invigorated market for Access, to cause developers to start pouring into the list.

It seems that you  have failed in your charge.  We shall flog you with a cat-o-nines as soon as we
discover where in the world you may be located - and where to find a cat-o-nines.

I wrote a lucid and realistic explanation of why the list existed to begin with (I was around at the
beginning, and I kinda remember why we were there and what was being discussed) and why it is not so
active any more.  You can throw whiz-bang technologies at the problem till the digital cows come
home but if there is nothing being done in the platform, it is unlikely that there will be a ton of
traffic on a developer list for the platform.

In light of this I concur with your new rules, paraphrased a bit.

1) We admit that Access has withered on the vine.
2) We admit that Microsoft, with malice and forethought, intentionally allowed Access to die as a
development platform.
3) Given points 1 and 2, we loosen the rules to explicitly allow more chat, keeping the topics to
something technical remotely related to databases or programming.
4) We quit flogging the list for not forcing Microsoft to make Access more relevant to Databases and
therefore to us.
5) We horsewhip you and Tony for your failures mentioned above.
6) We re-task yourself and Tony to do whatever you believe would turn this list back into a
burgeoning and lively place to discuss stuff, paying you handsomely if you manage to do so.

Sound good?

Or... we are a publicly held company.  You could call a meeting of the board and demand changes.  It
would be good to have solid plans for such changes, but I am certain that the board would entertain
your requests.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away