[AccessD] Light Table IDE (Vimeo.com) - Was:Re: HTML5 mobile-friendly web sites vs. native

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 20 11:11:26 CDT 2012

Hi Shamil:

Right now, the best IDE for C# is Microsoft's offering.

The prices are pretty high; from 1K for entrance level package and up to 5K
for the full-blown enterprise version. The packages may be well worth it but
when getting any of them you are truly committed. If MS decides not to allow
their package results to be compatible with the rest of the industry then a
developer may find themselves on a dead-end street or/and rebuilding the
resultant forms by hand and you are back to square one wondering why you
have been buying all these upgrades every year.

An aside from my personal observations: The current problem with the
industry, as far as Microsoft is related, is that for every young student
graduating from university with degrees in computer science maybe only one
in thirty (50, more?...) is equiped to work with MS products. Young geeks
have no money, so they learn programming and development on cheap and free
products and that continues right through university as universities have no
money either. The best students come out knowing how to program in C, PHP,
Java, Ruby, Python, databases like MySQL, Postgress and Cassandra, on
platforms like Linux and Unix and knowledge of only how to build web
applications...

Microsoft has stopped giving free introduction, training programs and access
to their beta application at the universities. This is a problem for
Microsoft if they want to be anything more than just sellers of their office
products and the trainer of integrators, they are going to have to, again,
be a lot more pro-active...just look at their competition.

Jim