[AccessD] What's the bug/problem with creating with Access 2010 and deploying to earlier users?

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Sep 20 21:44:55 CDT 2012

Yeah, they broke backward compatibility with the standard with SP1 in W7 - caused many screams from their developer based - and understand it wasn't just VBA - it was everything that used ADO.  Trouble was it would work fine on SP1 where it was compiled, and it would work great if you recompiled the code on a non W7 SP1 machine.  But if you developed and compiled the product in W7 SP1 and then used it on any other OS it would crash.  Urrrrrgh.

The only solution for VBA folks was to roll back SP1 and wait for a fix.  That was ok if (like me) you have a pre SP1 OS under the hood.  For folks who had the latest W7 Disk with SP1 embedded, there was not much they could do but swear a lot....