[AccessD] FW: Ctrl Break

Tony Septav TSeptav at Uniserve.com
Sat Sep 22 15:30:43 CDT 2012

Hey John
I am supposed to be lurking. After all these years dealing with a bumptious
cranky old bastard I can honestly say "Hear, Hear".

Now if I could only find where I put my glasses.

Tony Septav
Nanaimo, BC
Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: September-22-12 11:34 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] FW: Ctrl Break

I would like to point out that we just had a rather long thread having
mostly nothing to do with
Access, but the list provided an answer to the problem, provided some
soothing words and just
generally acted like family.

:)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/A_215
> 5-Keyboard-Remapping-CAPSLOCK-to-Ctrl-and-Beyond.html
>

>   I recently bought a new Dell over the summer and the break key wasn't on
> the keyboard.  Checking on-line, I see it's now a common problem.  As many
> have noted, it's just not used much anymore.
>
>   I found a post in the Dell forums referencing the registry hack, which I
> checked out through the EE article (I always want to make sure I
understand
> any registry change and what it's doing before I use it).  That's where I
> also found the program reference, but I'd rather not install software if I
> don't have to, so I have not tried it and used the registry hack instead.
>
>   Basically, windows has a set of "virtual keys" representing all the
various
> function and keystrokes, which hardware and BIOS mfg's map to.  This
> registry change affects that mapping.
>
>   This is happening at a very low level and if you do screw it up, you can
> end up making a keystroke unavailable.  If it happens to be a critical
one,
> then you'd need to use a second computer to do a remote registry change.
>
>   The one posted however does work and I double checked what it's doing.
>
>   The article was well worth a read because it also gets into those
special
> function/media keys that kick off programs on your PC and how that's
> accomplished.
>
> <<So I went to Regedit and when I drill down to Keyboard Layout I find two
> more sub-folders - DosKeybCodes and DosKeybIDs. Ignore those?  >>
>
>    Yes.
>

>   Easiest is to do the change via file.  Create a new text file on your
> desktop (right click, new, text document) and call it
> "mapctrlbreaktoF10.reg"
>
> Now edit it and paste in:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
> "Scancode
> Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,46,e0,44,00,00,00,00,00
>
> and save.  Double click and you'll be asked if it's OK to import.  Click
OK
> and then reboot.  You should now find that F10 gives you a break.
>
> A small caution on doing the above; you need to check for that registry
key
> before you do the above because doing the above will wipe out anything
> already there.  This key should not exist by default.
>
>   By the way, if you want to delete the mapping, just delete the key.
>
> Jim.

Layout
> folder?
>
> Is Scancode Map the Value Name and the snip starting with =hex entered in
> the value data?
>

> So many questions...:)
>
> Thanks
>
> Rocky