[AccessD] Read an ldb File

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Sep 27 06:31:34 CDT 2012

Rocky,

 Reading the .LDB file directly won't get you anywhere as there is a
corresponding user lock that determines if a user is actually in the DB or
not.  Also if your not using ULS security, all you will get is the station
name (every user will be "admin").

 The old LDB Viewer from Microsoft looks at the user locks, but only works
with JET DB's and not the new ACE format (2007 and up).

 Best LDB utility I've found to date is one written by Frank Hilton and I
believe it works with the ACE format.  You can download it from EE here:
http://rdsrc.us/HLR1d1

 It's written in VB.  Look for it in the second comment from the bottom
along with the screen shot.

Note that it uses either the MSLDBUSR.DLL or the ADO Jet roster schema to
fetch the basic data (which is what you can use as well in code if you want
to build your own utility).

Jim.