[AccessD] Access Reporting Application - Dealing with Excel Input Files that are E-mailed Daily

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Tue Apr 16 15:32:32 CDT 2013

All,

We have an Access 2007 application that automatically generates and
e-mails reports every night.  This application is primarily pulling data
from a SQL Server database via ODBC.  It has worked nicely for about 3
years.

Recently, an enhancement was made to the application which requires the
pulling of a small amount of data from an Excel file.  This new feature
seems to also be working nicely.

Each day, a new Excel file is e-mailed to me.  I DO NOT have control
over how this file is named.  When I receive the e-mail, I save the
attached Excel file with a consistent name so that the nightly Access
application can find it.  In other words, I save the Excel file with the
name that the Access application is expecting to find.  This procedure
works, but it does require manual intervention every day.  I would like
to find a better method so that this manual intervention is not
required.

Has anyone else ever run into this type of situation?

I have started to experiment with Outlook VBA code.  I have written
quite a bit of Access VBA, but not much Outlook VBA.  I am not sure of
the potential of this route.

Any ideas or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad