[AccessD] Querying the back end directly

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 07:40:56 CDT 2013

I know that queries can be constructed to use a "SELECT FROM ExternalFileName.Table" kind of
syntax.  In other words, not linking a table out in the BE but in the query referencing the external
database (or spreadsheet etc) and then a table inside of that.

First of all I need to know whether that is faster, slower or no difference.

I need to be able to modify that to modify the location of the back end file.  While I can open the
query def and search through the sql for the file name I would really prefer not to.  Is it possible
to use this kind of thing using an ODBC connect string?  Or does an ODBC connect string assume a
database server / engine at the other end?

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it