[AccessD] Access 2007 to SQL Server 2008 over the internet(Cross Posted)

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Aug 14 08:46:14 CDT 2013

<<Agreed.  I'd be very wary of running bound forms over the internet.>>

 Actually, one company is running apps as an Access FE with a SQL Server BE
over the internet and does fairly well with it even with bound forms.

 They have some great tips here (which I believe I've posted in the past).
See "the best of both worlds" here:

http://www.jstreettech.com/cartgenie/pg_developerDownloads.asp

 But what it boils down to as we have discussed in the past, is that an
Access based app needs some re-work to do that well.

 But if your talking a Access FE to Azure (SQL Server in the cloud), it just
doesn't work and I know of no one that's doing that.

 I also know of very few that are trying Web Apps in Access 2013.   If you
think Access 2007/2010 landed with a thud in regards to web stuff, Access
2013 seems to have landed with an even bigger thud.  Their just too
restrictive and offer no upgrade path for existing users.

 Personally I think Microsoft has stepped a little too far ahead of the
curve this time and shot themselves in the foot.  They've left no migration
path for existing apps and now from 2007 on up have offered nothing new on
the desktop side.

 I can see Access morphing into a strictly end user tool, with nothing more
then being able to do web based forms and CRUD operations.

 Recently an entry appeared on an Access blog suggesting that for an Access
Web app, *Excel* be used for reporting.  That was troubling indeed.

Jim.