[AccessD] Access 2012 Development

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Wed Aug 14 18:26:20 CDT 2013

I looked at this product, and if you require that sort of x-platform power and flexibility it seems like a great solution, although it is not inexpensive.

I don't mind the cost so much as things of quality and reliability are rarely free or cheap.  Besides, if they are making some coin they can continue to invest in the business and also keep supporting the product

Although like others on this list I don't find a huge amount of joy in having to learn a new language and syntax.  Must be getting old as when I was young I would just dive in and see what happens.

For the sort of work I do these days, Access is still the best solution, but what we do is very 'in house' and needs to be highly flexible and easy to integrate with Excel and external data sources - there is little to no need to access the data via anything other than the PC on the server.  Access is ideal for this, although the 2GB limit is sometimes annoying as we work with some very large datasets.

So maybe one day, but not for me right now.  This is nothing against their product.  More it is not the right solution for what we need.

That said, I have recommended them to others before, where I feel it would be a useful solution.

cheers
Darryl