[AccessD] Future of Windows XP

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Aug 20 01:09:10 CDT 2013

A lot depends on how the workstations are used.

If the only thing they are doing is running te purchasedf applications and your in house
developed Access applications, it won't really matter.

If they are used for internet access and/or email then te laco of updates is a concern.  As it is
if people are sticking USB sticks etc in them.

The vast majority are migrating to Win 7.

How well the machines work under a newer OS depends on the current configuration of the
machines, especially RAM.

Here's MS's minimum requirements for Win 7
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

and for WIn 8 it is much the same:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Access 2007 is fine with either WIn 7 or WIn 8. (As is Access 2003)

--
Stuart