[AccessD] Future of Windows XP

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 08:33:45 CDT 2013

The company I work for has a thousand or more PC's. Probably half of them
are still running XP. We have been putting Windows 7 and Office 2010 on the
new machines for quite a while now. I don't think we usually update OS's on
older hardware though. The XP machines are generally nearing end of life
anyway and so are scheduled to be replaced. Many of them were pretty low
end machines to start with only having a gig of memory and small hard
drives that contain the OS and Office and not much else. All our core
business apps are run through a browser interface now so our client
machines don't need to be too powerful. We do have some people doing more
client side work in Excel and Access too though and they get more powerful
machines. I have two boxes here at work and both are XP and one has Office
XP (2002) and the other Office 2003. Most of the people I supply data to
have Office 2007 or 2010 and I get questions pretty frequently on "why do
you still have such old versions?" to which I reply, I just don't have time
to waste updating things.   My stuff all works and does what I need it to.
But since we are a retail company we need to stay current with patches etc
or we won't get the blessing of the card companies too so I'm sure that as
the deadline nears our XP machines will be replaced.   My machines are both
probably upgradable. Both are dual core but only have 2GB ram installed at
the present time. I know there is some funkiness on people's systems that
have 64 bit Windows 7 and that some of our development apps have to be run
in an emulation mode which messes up the video resolution somehow. But I
guess it is something I will have to deal with sometime too.