[AccessD] Relative reference to Word document?

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Aug 22 09:25:17 CDT 2013

Hi,

I have a little membership and donors database for my local Habitat
office.  There is an acknowledgement letter that goes out to donors on a
periodic basis, thanking them for their donation and recognizing any
particular designation - so, it's a form letter whose data source is a
table created by a query that pulls the data for a given deposit date.

In the database, I have a little form with instructions to the user to
set the date, click the button to make the list of donors, click the
button to launch Word and open the acknowledgement form letter, and
after the merge is completed and the user returns to the Access form,
another button to close the form.

The event procedure to get the form letter looks like this:

Private Sub btnContribAcknowledgeLtr_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_btnContribAcknowledgeLtr_Click

     Call RunApp("V:\Admin
Asst\Access\HFHV11_Files\TinaDonationTestLtr2.doc", 1)

Exit_btnContribAcknowledgeLtr_Click:
     Exit Sub

Err_btnContribAcknowledgeLtr_Click:
     MsgBox Err.Description
     Resume Exit_btnContribAcknowledgeLtr_Click

End Sub

As you see, the RunApp call uses an absolute reference to the location
of the form letter.

Every so often, somebody moves the database directory to a different
folder and the path gets lost.  What I want to do is place the form
letter in the same folder as the database and use a relative reference,
but, so far I have been unable to do that.  It seems so simple, but I'm
not succeeding.

Oh, yeah - history.  This database was first developed in Access 97,
then converted for A2003, then A2007, and now the office is updating to
A2013.  I've already discovered that all my nice calendar controls got
broken and I'm reconfiguring my forms to use the textbox date picker.
But, I just know there must be references and other goodies that are
also broken.  I'll appreciate any help you guys are able and willing to
provide.

Ideas?

TNF

--