[AccessD] Future of Windows XP

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Aug 23 06:05:22 CDT 2013

Doug,

  Interesting; so Microsoft now admits their selling us the same stuff over
and over<g>:

"But after April 8, 2014, organizations that continue to run Windows XP
won’t have this advantage over attackers any longer.  The very first month
that Microsoft releases security updates for supported versions of Windows,
attackers will reverse engineer those updates, find the vulnerabilities and
test Windows XP to see if it shares those vulnerabilities.  If it does,
attackers will attempt to develop exploit code that can take advantage of
those vulnerabilities on Windows XP.  Since a security update will never
become available for Windows XP to address these vulnerabilities, Windows XP
will essentially have a “zero day” vulnerability forever. "

  It is however an excellent point.   Maybe it still will be a target.  It's
still much more entrenched then one would think (I'm using it on this one
station now).

  But I should also add that every client I have and myself will be pushed
off XP before the dead line.

Jim.