[AccessD] Photo Management

William Benson vbacreations at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 03:09:56 CST 2013

 I would not be surprised if this has been tackled either here or on other
forums, but I am looking for a way to manage photos and move them from
wherever I encounter them in the windows explorer (often showing in preview
mode) to distinct folders in a variety of locations without performing all
required actions at one time. For example, if I encounter 6 among 36 files
which I think should be moved to a folder called "Friends" I would like to
tag them in a way that I can move them all at one time, wherever they are,
even when I am no longer looking at the folder they are located in. So I am
envisioning some sort of file managing system which is part database, part
OS file system manager. I thought Access might be able to do this, perhaps
showing me the contents of folders (items which are images) and loading an
image control with the image, then I would choose something from a drop
down which would help me tag the item while also storing information about
where it had been, what it had been named, perhaps giving me a field which
lets me rename it (while testing that I am not duplicate naming it) - but
doing nothing to the original file until I am ready to execute the
operation hich moves and renames all files at one time.

I have found I cannot do this conveniently through the Operating System,
and I cannot review planned changes without of course actually executing
the changes - by which point in time it is too late. Such as moving
something from folder A to folder B and renaming it from X to Y... all the
original information is lost and there is no way to undo the change later.
But if I could retain the old name and location, I could "reset" the
operation" by reversing what I had done.

I think a VBA application would help with a project of this nature. Anyone
have any ideas how to approach this without reinventing the wheel?