[AccessD] FW: Back-up

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:12:30 CST 2013

Wow. Reading this thread makes me feel like such a dinosaur. I haven't even
heard of most products mentioned, let alone used them. All I have is a 1TB
USB external drive, and a scheduled procedure that works nightly and copies
everything of interest to said external drive, and that's all that I have.
I don't trust clouds but maybe that's something I have to get over. What I
do like is that I can just unplug the external drive and then plug it in to
my laptop, and everything I need is there. Of course, I have no defence
against a nuclear attack, but on the other hand Canada doesn't have many
enemies, other than our First Nations people, whose side I am emphatically
on, so hopefully they will spare me, but in the event that they don't, I
still have my USB 1TB drive, which is guaranteed to have yesterday's data
intact, and speaking frankly, it's not as if I had ten tremendous
world-shaking ideas yesterday. On the other hand, when I'm working, then I
back up the current project every hour, to the aforementioned external USB
disk.

I am not claiming that this is the most intelligent solution, just saying
that this is what I do. The thing that I like about this solution is that I
can bring my USB hard disk anywhere and copy the files of interest to the
client's box, and the only thing that could go wrong is that some robbers
take over the streetcar and demand that I surrender my watch and wallet and
USB drive. Yes, that is a potential problem, and I have no solution for
that eventuality. Perhaps I need to get past my objections to the cloud and
copy all this stuff to God Knows Where, and hope for the best, and plan for
the worst. Two USB drives, and scheduled copies about four times per day.
To protect me from doing something stupid, which unfortunately seems to be
habitual. However, I have learned over these woe to many years, that
Intelligence is the Art of Anticipating Your Stupidity, and therefore I
have pre-empted my stupidity thanks to scheduled programs and batch files..

I haven't written a batch file in about a dozen years. Those that exist on
my machine work, but you remind me of how much fun it was to write batch
files. A discipline that I fear is if not gone, fading quickly. In fact, I
would go so far as to say, "Most computer users don't even have the
foggiest idea what a batch file is." This IMO is a sad thing, and it brings
to mind one of the greatest ads in software history, an ad for
Ashton-Tate's product called Framework, I know that I'm not going to get
this right, but the gist was this: "I don't want menus, I want power
commands."

And speaking of great software ads, the greatest IMO of all time was
created by Hal Pollack, and it was "dBASE II versus the Bilge Pump". A
bunch of years ago I met Hal, and told him that he wrote the best ad ever
in the history of software.

A few years after that, I landed an interview with C. Wayne Ratliff, who
wrote dBASE-II in assembly language and it ran it 64K. That interview was
published in Data-Based Advisor magazine, and got me a bunch of brownie
points, because nobody got to him except me. And then something else
happened. Brian Russell, former A-T employee, had an idea, called Clipper,
named after a restaurant in Nantucket, where the original deal was done.

And now, a few decades later, I am infatuated with the people that
developed Alpha Five. These people are very smart, and also very open to
communication. I have been toying with their software for about 8 months,
and I finally have landed a gig to be developed and deployed in Alpha Five,
It's a relatively simple app (about 20 tables) and it needs to work on
desktop, tablet and smart-phone. And A5 delivers all this.

I have built a few apps for my own use and proved that their technologies
work. Now I'm about to do a real-world app, and I am way excited to do this.

All you people wasting your time in Access development, I have just one
suggestion. Download the free time-limited edition of A5 and take it for a
spin, For all the pieces, it costs about $1K, but you'll make that back in
your first gig.

I have no commercial interest in A5, no shares, no edge in any way. I'm
just calling things as I see them. Download the trial stuff and run the
demo-apps and see for yourself. This thing blows the door off Access, and I
say that having made much of my living for the past 20+ years as an Access
developer.

A.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>wrote:

> That's why I like it - and why I suggested " ...batch file"   :-)
>
> --
> Stuart
>
> On 1 Feb 2013 at 8:23, Jim Lawrence wrote:
>
> > ...and to add; it also works via any command line (old or via
> powertools) so
> > the programmed and scheduled to run any number of backups.
> >
> > Jim

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr