[AccessD] Access and Sharepoint

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:16:20 CST 2013

Doug,

You're not the first to mention that VBA code is unacceptable in a
SharePoint environment. That is going to be a problem. On the other hand, I
have been reading various things about SharePoint, and the most immediate
problem is that I do not have a license to said product. As I write this, I
am downloading the free version of SP 2010.

Another thing to figure into this is InfoPath, which I peeked at a few
years ago and not again since then. For some reason, the organization in
question uses an InfoPath FE to talk to the Access BE. Are there things
that InfoPath brings to the table that Access does not? I just checked and
I still have InfoPath 2007 installed. But I don't really get why one would
choose it over your typical Access FE.

Can anyone illuminate?

TIA,
Arthur

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Doug Murphy <dw-murphy at cox.net> wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> We looked into using Access and Office 365 SharePoint for a client. Built
> some prototypes, but at least with the older version of 365 and Office 2010
> it was very limited compared to the Access client and vba. UtterAccess,
> http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Microsoft-SharePoint-f66.html, has a
> forum
> on this subject and most of the folks working in this area answer questions
> there.
>
> Doug

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr