[AccessD] Doin the class thing - clsDNDText

David A Gibson davidalangibson2010 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:17:08 CST 2013

2nd

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John W Colby
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:18 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Doin the class thing - clsDNDText

OK, let's discuss what is going on.

clsDNDText is a class which I call an object wrapper.  It wraps an access
object (a text box in this
case) and then uses event sinks to service the events of the wrapped object.
So this class wraps a text box.  Notice in the header of the class the line:

Private WithEvents mtxt As TextBox

This dimensions a text box variable private (cannot be seen outside of the
class) and informs VBA that the class will be sinking events (the WithEvents
keyword).

Next we have a constant which holds the text "[Event Procedure]"

Private Const cEvProc As String = "[Event Procedure]"

It is good programming practice to as much as possible have a class self
contained, not depending on outside resources to perform its function.

Next we have termination code.  When a class unloads it calls its terminate
event if one exists.  In this case it simply "unhooks" the text box, setting
the pointer to nothing.  We do that because it is possible to prevent a form
from closing when objects on the form have pointers to them that are not
cleaned up.

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
     Set mtxt = Nothing
End Sub

We then have an Init function which is public, and allows us to pass in a
pointer to a text box.
mInit then stores that pointer in our class header.  This allows the class
to sink any and all events for the passed in object (text box).  Notice that
we immediately place the cEvProc into the OnDblClick property of the text
box.  It is a little known fact that it is the very existence of that text
in the property that causes VBA to start raising events for the object.  By
specifically placing that code in that property in our code, we do not need
the developer to double click the property for us.  In this case we have
only hooked the OnDblClick event however we could add others by adding a
similar line of code for other events.

Function mInit(ltxt As TextBox)
     Set mtxt = ltxt
     mtxt.OnDblClick = cEvProc
End Function

And finally, the guts of the thing, the very reason for doing all this, we
have the event sink itself.  This code is entered when the event fires for
the specific text box which this class instance wraps.  IOW if we have
several instances of this class, one for TextBox 2, TextBox4 and TextBox6,
then when you double click in TextBox4, the event in the instance servicing
that text box will sink the event and do something with it.  In this case I
am simply poppigg up a message box to display the name of the control.

Private Sub mtxt_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
     'Do something here
     MsgBox mtxt.Name & ".DblClick"
End Sub

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it

On 2/7/2013 9:33 AM, John W Colby wrote:
> John,
>
> Create a little test database.
> Create a form
> Drag and drop 3 text boxes out.  When I did this they ended up with
> the names Text2, Text4 and Text6.  Make sure that your text boxes are
named that or the code won't work as it is.