[AccessD] Referencing Report Footer Calculated Field in Report Header

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Wed Feb 13 17:50:17 CST 2013

Totally makes sense.

"To Add Up"

The Romans had it right - they also used to put the totals up the top.  We still use the term but the current fashion is totals at the bottom (or "To Add Down") - dumb idea IMHO.  I always put totals in the header (up the top), along with out meta data (Min, Max, Count, Means etc).  Maybe it is an Excel thing.  There are HUGE advantages to doing this.  They include, but not limited to

1: The totals / counts / etc are always visible and easily seen.  If they are down the bottom and you you need to keep finding the bottom to find the result - and the bottom will keep moving.
2: Doesn't matter how many additional rows of data you add.
3: The totals are always located and found in the same place, this has big advantages for machines and humans.

Totally get Totals in the headers - sadly Access is not good at this.  This is one area Excel excels ;)

Cheers
Darryl