[AccessD] AccessD never changes

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:45:59 CST 2013

Uhhh yep.  I think that a lot of what is going on is that the old guard doesn't need a lot of help
or is moving on or both.  AccessD built back in the day when this and AccessL was it for support.
That is no longer true.  We got accustomed to the list and the list way of doing things and are
comfortable with that.

The bigger issue is that no one has the desire to step up any more.  In 97 AccessD literally died.
The old owner just abruptly shut it down one day.  A group of us stepped up to reconstruct it and it
has run more or less 'on its own' since.  We have officers and a BOD but ... let's just say that
things have gone so smoothly that we haven't had much need to take drastic steps.  While I see
occasional 'we need change' messages pass by, nobody feels so strongly that they actually volunteer
to spearhead the effort.

Unless that happens I don't see anything changing.  There needs to be an overwhelming reason for
change and a core group that wants the change in order for change to happen.  This is true in any
context, whether it is music, politics, society or this list.  I don't see the core group desiring
the change to AccessD, and I certainly don't see a groundswell of effort to define the needed change
and effect that change.

I needed AccessD and it went away.  I helped reconstruct it.  My need for AccessD is far far less
now.  I have a ton of friends here but if it went away entirely I would grieve and move on. 'Google
is my friend' is my tech motto.

That said I think that AccessD still, to this day, does what it ever did as well as it ever did.  It
is still an awesome resource for Access knowledge.

I will support change to AccessD but don't look to me to spearhead the change.  I have a life that
sucks up most of my time and my need for change is small.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it