[AccessD] Tony's comments

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 12:09:57 CST 2013

Well, I'm a recent joiner of the forum, and a long-time lurker in
<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/access-l.html>

40 years in IT - lots of mainframes (DB2, CICS etc.) Oracle & and PC's since
the BBC-B &  IBM PC's came into the UK

When Windows NT & then 2K, with Office2K  were 'new' there was a lot of
Access activity in business and on forums  - major reasons being:
Cheap (well, relatively) development platform,
Could be kept away from the main IT 'management' and infrastructure
Access 'Forms' and reports made it a reasonable knock-up facility - with
input forms and report examples being (almost) as easy to create as working
facilities as a set of mainframe based demo layouts, and the Access bits
worked!
There was a reasonable inbuilt access control facility (if the site's
web-police' didn't disable it.
AND
Most developers were on the second quarter of the learning curve (just
before the steep bit!)

Then we got OFFICE XP, followed by 2003 - not that much change in the
facility - so those learning had got to the point of being well skilled but
not experts.
BUT
There were all those other facilities - PHP, HTML MySQL - and the Oracle
facility got to be a fairly fully functional front-end GUI builder
Add to that Oracle and DB2 that worked on a PC.
And - Blogs blossomed, sand seeded all over everything

Meanwhile Access had done little to keep ahead of the competition.

THEN - we get 2007, 2010  and the 'user-control' gets 'adjusted' - there is
the new Ribbon to learn ( not really an Access 'Tech' subject)
And Excel gets to be big enough that you really could do database
menipulation and storage in it
AND
Management could avoid the second tier price premium for the product to be
installed

So - yes, there are few 'learners' coming onto lists such as this
Yes - there are few questions being posed.
Similar happenings on the
<
<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/access-l.html>
and
<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/excel-l.html>
and even the beginners forum
<http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/excel-g.html>

So - if you want this forum to recover then I suspect the forum needs to
become a bit more inviting to new users, and include such things as you seem
to be putting into your blogs, or at least links to the working examples of
problems beginners are liable to encounter

That way people would (perhaps) start reccomending it as a startpoint for
help

Consider for instance -
Access forms are relatively easy compared to doing it in Excel.
So - how about some instructions as to how to generate data entry forms
(with validation) in Access, and then use them in association with SQL data
extraction insertion, update and deletion running with Excel as a front-end

Currently my usage and experience are such that I am unlikely to be posting
solutions, but I'm still (probably) going to be lurking!

JimB