[AccessD] Tony's comments

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 20 13:53:17 CST 2013

Jim

Very true.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Dettman
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:58 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Tony's comments

NOTE: This is a two part message because for some weird reason, the list
keeps telling me it's larger then 20kb.

All,

  Arthur brought up some excellent points:

1. "is that we have co-educated one another to the point that we know most
of the answers to most of the obvious questions."

2. "What is also obvious is that we are failing to attract new minnows. It's
possible that this is because the pool of ambitious Access power-users is
shrinking."

  Those two points go to the heart of the matter; Access is a mature
product, other products have moved into it's niche, and as a result no one
is doing anything new with it.

  For example, why is not anyone talking about Azure or Access web
databases?  Because no one (or very few) are doing anything with them.  Most
of us have moved onto other things, so there is nothing new to talk about.
Tony's comment of "Nowadays new Access projects are drying up faster then
the Sahara"  is spot on.  It's not just here either, but everywhere.    The
Access TA on EE was one of the top traffic areas since 1996 until 2011.  Now
it's not even in the top 50 of the most active.  And I see the same thing
everywhere.   Anything that has to do with Access has dropped off the cliff
in the past couple of years.