[AccessD] Tony's comments - Part 2

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 20 14:28:23 CST 2013

Hi all:

True but there are not many R on R, Python, PHP, ASP.Net, JavaScript and
HTML developers on this list, in fact darn few web designer here of any
level. There are also very few people who have any knowledge of servers,
other than for limited network use. If the word Linux is not in your
development vocabulary it is time to start learning. Another word like HTML
should just look like a challenge and not something to be avoided. I have
not heard of anyone talking about the great app they just wrote for some
Tablet or Smartphone?...yet.

Any developer with an eye to the future had better be looking at the browser
instead of the desktop. If not, the best development work you can hope for
in the future, is maintaining other programmer's (and I use that title
liberally) crap until the client moves to the web.

Because most of the desktop apps are history, there will never be another
replacement for MS Access...they are just are not needed.

If any of you have been frequenting the DBA-Tech list you will know
discussion has been argued at some length but also would have seen many
links to great new technologies and not just items with a MS seal of
approval. (or Smartphone/iPhone, tablet, Linux or Apple for that matter.)

As I am "sort" of retired, I can help anyone willing to take the plunge but
I will not build your next website, product app, setup your server, install
your Linux distro or web-database for you. ;-)

So get with the program, get to work you old farts and quit whining!!! ;-)

Jim