[AccessD] AccessD never changes

jack drawbridge jackandpat.d at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:44:15 CST 2013

And many of the forums from my view seem to have a large percentage of new
users. Usually students doing assignments, or the self learning group that
has never heard of normalization, relationships...  They all seem to
Acc2010 or 2013, and most have installed the 64 bit version, and have the
latest hardware. Their big issue is how to update a "cell", or how to write
SQL. Most have never heard of a data model (or ERD). These users seem to
feel that- now that they have the Access software, the databases will just
get generated.???? no concepts, no plans,...
Seems they are still teaching using Access n some schools, but none of the
database/relational theory. Many have never heard of Normalization.  I  had
one (British hair salon owner trying to deal with appointments, staff
availability and products) who accused me of "hijacking" his thread because
I asked what his core business was and could he post a jpg of his tables
and relationships etc..  I asked about his core business and asked if he
should be running the salon/cutting hair etc, and should he be building the
database or hire a contractor. He also said he didn't know what a data
model was and certainly had no need of one now and my questions weren't
helping him He needed to know how to write a query to add totals into one
of his tables..

I think AccessD,  and I have been a long time lurker/learner with few
posts, is far beyond these basics. When a discussion or issue is raised, it
is usually meaningful, thought out and relevant. Perhaps we have mostly
beaten the variety of syntax issues, and 99 ways to skin the cat, and there
are no longer the numerous, more mundane issues for resolution.

I'm not sure what exactly would revamp/reface/re-energize AccessD. I like
John's blog. Perhaps the Ruby on Rails or other topics as has been
suggested. However, I feel that may not get a broad take up.  I'm retired;
have been for 5 years, my Access is typically helping people on the forums.
As has been pointed out, many here are 40+ (maybe 50+), with diverse jobs.
And some have been forced to look for new opportunities to use their
skills.I don't see a lot of people jumping to Acc2013 or Sharepoint, and I
personally have no real interest there.

Any way, just a little rambling to feed the pot.

jack