[AccessD] Access & Multiple Users conclusion

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Fri Feb 22 10:31:54 CST 2013

For all that replied, I thank you. I did read this, but I've been pulled in so many directions lately, it was hard to sit and work on this, and get back to y'all. What is an emergency here one day, seems to take a back seat to anther emergency tomorrow..actually sometimes only hours or less later ;o)

Basically, y'all have confirmed that I was doing things right, and for the proper reasons, and that is what I was looking for really. I couldn't expect anyone to fix what I knew to be network issues, because A) you are, like me, mostly programmers, and B) although many of us have some network knowledge, how do you really help someone on their network w/out knowing it much better? ;o)

So, thanks...This initial problem seems to have abated. Some adjustments were made on the network...I'm not sure what...and some problems went away. I don't even think those changes were made to fix this particular issue.

But...to comment on your comments specifically...

>>> "Jim Dettman" <jimdettman at verizon.net> 2/15/2013 1:39 PM >>>
<<Most of these issues seem to be that they were previously being used by multiple people at the same time, and they can no longer do this. I've told the person that I am in contact w/over there that, they aren't really meant to be operated this way, so there really isn't anything for me to "fix." >>

Couple of things:

1. Make sure everyone has full rights for where the MDB's are (which has already been mentioned).

*** Yeah, this looks to be the case...now anyhow. I'm not sure what it was, but this is something I'd definitely think to look at. I do have more network experience than the average programmer I think...I don't like it as much, but I keep getting thrown into that roll. Windows networking is quite new for me though, and I'm struggling a bit, after spending 18+ yrs working w/Novell.

2. Make sure that DB's placed in the same directory do not have the same base name.  i.e.  MyApp.MDW and MyApp.MDB.   This results in both DB's generating the same locking file name (MyApp.LDB) and all kinds of weirdness will result.

*** Now THIS is something I had not thought of. Great tip...Thank you! Definitely something that will help me.

*** I do not use MDWs too much though. I just don't care all that much for Access security in workgroups...more trouble than its worth in my experience. In my environment I can control so much w/network security that is really is just kind of overkill. But, like I said, this is still a gem of a tip...a keeper for sure.

3. Microsoft made a change with Access 2000 that design changes required exclusive access to the DB.  Moving from Novell to Windows would not have changed that, but if as part of that users got new stations and new versions of Access, it may come into play.

*** This is something else I'll have to keep in mind. I think this might be more of an issue in the Windows environment.

 This brings up a new issue I have...I was going to submit it alone, but it kinda blends here...no...I'm going to enter it under a new topic...

And a split app is the best approach, foremost of which is that it reduces network usage, there by improving performance of the app.   It also makes app maintenance and updates easier.  Finally it reduces the chance of corruption, although with the design change now being exclusive, corruption of a shared DB is a lot less then it used to be.