[AccessD] AccessD never changes

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 23 10:08:07 CST 2013

Well said Charlotte.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:31 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] AccessD never changes

Ken,

I doubt you'll find much fluster in this group, but thanks for thinking
we're still capable of it.  Access is moving away from the mossy backs; but
as I just discovered from a phone interview, users are still rolling their
own Access databases (along with some VB 6 developers who don't really
think in Access) and IT departments still need people to help document,
untangle, and migrate them because IT DOESN'T SUPPORT ACCESS!  I don't know
how I would make a living doing such a thing, but I do get contract work
from it on occasion.

The point is, we can't make Access relevant by simply applying our brains
to it, no matter how many people post.  I will be playing with Access 2013
on Windows 8 to see what it might offer for that kind of platform, but I
don't expect there to be a rush to use it.  The gap between user and
developer has widened with Windows 8/Access 2013 even further than it was
before.  I'm not even sure how a newcomer could learn to build anything in
2013 on the new platform, so I'm fiddling with it.  Trying to move the list
to a new platform is even more of a disconnect, and I wouldn't encourage
anyone to try it without wearing Kevlar

No hard feelings.  I don't take anything personally anymore!

Charlotte