[AccessD] What the List Did For Me

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Thu Feb 28 18:24:45 CST 2013

I've a lot to be thankful for as well. For a 100 mile endurance race, I was
doing manual spreadsheet entries based on info given me from the ham
operators so that I could print the spreadsheets for the people at the
finish line to see. I didn't even know what a "relational database" was. But
since Access was part of the Office suite, I thought I'd find out and joined
the list. With the help of this list, the race data got turned into an
Access database, then further help made the info from the hams be able to be
imported into the database, and each year there was something new that got
added to make it better. Eventually, I got to the point that there was
nothing more I could do with my mdb, and I was concentrating on putting the
results on the website, warning that the place a runner was, was as much as
3-4 hours old. In parallel, there was someone working on a VB program for
tracking the runners via ham radio software. He turned his program into
Access, and we eventually married the two programs. As of about 4-5 years
ago, that marriage provides instantly like feeds to update the website in
real time. None of this could have happened without this list!!!!!

The race this year is Aug 3/4 if you want to see the info in action at:
http://scrrba.org/ac100

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"