[AccessD] Windows 7 Running Cached Old Version Of MDB

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 09:54:35 CST 2013

Andy,

<<Interesting Jim. You're right that the MDB is in a sub-folder within
C:\Program
Files, but "Everyone" already has Full Control rights to that sub-folder,
not
least so that the LDB can be created and deleted.>>

<< What else can I do to avoid this?>>

 You need to take ownership of the folder as well to avoid the re-direction.

<<To my mind it's pretty amazing (and not in a good way) that such a
fundamental thing as "I
tell the OS to open a file and it opens it" has changed to "I tell the OS to
open a file and it may decide to open a different one (and without telling
me
that that's what it has done)".>>

 I fully agree with you. I like you am getting tired of Microsoft building
all this stuff into the OS.  Things just keep getting more and more complex.

 Microsoft does this kind of thing and it just causes more problems.  What
they should have done is simply returned the "Access is denied" error and
not hide the problem.  Then it's up to the developer to put the app where it
belongs or get it installed properly. Of course all the developers would
scream that backwards compatibility is not being considered then.

 They could have gone a different route though and created new program
folder paths for Vista and Windows 7 that were secure, leaving the old
folders alone so they worked as they always have.  But I'm sure that would
carry ramifications as well and might even be worse.   But at least the
situation would be clear to anyone then about what was going on.

Jim.