[AccessD] Upgrade Access to SQL Server

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:06:33 CST 2013

I am being asked to upgrade Access FEs which have quite complex SQL Server BE tables, plus
(apparently) some data from those tables pulled down to the FE and stored there over time as the
user processes the data in those local FE tables.  They want to move those local tables to SQL Server.

My question is, is there an accepted method for providing this kind of table out in SQL Server?  IOW
the structure is there, but the data in the table (as seen from the FE ) belongs to that instance of
the FE.

We place tables local to the FE exactly for this purpose, to make it local to that specific instance
of the FE, on that specific user, on that specific machine.

It seems that if I am going to do this in SQL Server then I will need to add a "machine ID" kind of
FK in the tables as I upsize them to SQL Server, then in the Access Application somehow get filtered
datasets.  This sounds ugly.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it