[AccessD] Getting around old workgroup security - Next Step Updating!

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Mon Jul 15 09:54:38 CDT 2013

Wow! This was way more work than it should have been. There were so many issues that I ran into...EVERYTHING that I did had a little caveat or hurdle.

I have 2 laptops and a PC on my desk, all doing their own part in this. I did most of the work on a laptop with Win 95 & Access 97 on it. This allowed me to avoid all the issues of A97 on newer PCs. The other laptop was suppose to do this, but it ended up being just a go between from the other laptop to my PC and the network.

I got most of it done by Thursday afternoon...maybe it was Friday morning...it is all blending now. But, this "program" consisted of 3 MDBs...a Front-end, a Back-end and that BE database also linked to another DB w/only 2 tables in it. The front-end and that 2-tabled DB both came over relatively OK, but the BE was a pain. For some reason, only 18 of 19 tables would come over.

I kept getting errors no matter what I tried...which consisted of many things. The main error, as I posted before, was that two people were trying to make changes at the same time. This was not the case though. It was suggested that it was corrupt and I needed to compact and repair. I did...several times...w/no improvement.

This morning I got the idea to just recreate that table and try to import data only. There were only 9 fields, so I did this, but it wouldn't import the data...I think this was more of a restriction of the PCs power...maybe. But, instead of beating my head on the wall over this, I immediately tried to copy the data into Excel, and it worked. There was one single record that seems to be an error, and I omitted that, but the rest went fine...over 20k records.

It wouldn't import into the table I created...I don't understand it but that also seems to contain the error record...it appeared on its own, so there is something to this.  So, I instead imported into a new table and then tweaked it to match the original. I then imported that new MDB to the other location where all is how I want it, and it looks to work fine.

NOW...I'm to the point where I need to update. I initially tried...for the heck of it...to jump right up to 2010, but that didn't go real well...not real bad either, but its pretty much an all or nothing deal, right? So, I'm loading 2003 to a PC and plan to upgrade to 2003. (A) I think my chances for success are better w/2003, and they have 2007 anyhow, which will run 2003 fine. And, I just read this morning, an article from MS that said, "to upgrade to 2007, you must first go to 2003 and then to 2007." I never heard that before, but if they say so...

Is this really the case though?

>>> "Jim Dettman" <jimdettman at verizon.net> 7/12/2013 11:32 AM >>>
"It says, "the microsoft jet database engine stopped the process because you
and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."
This is NOT the case though. "

  DB is most likely corrupt:

ACC: Jet Database Engine 3.x Error Messages Due to Corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182867

  Make a backup copy and run a compact and repair on it.

Jim.