[AccessD] Does an ODBC linked table

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 15:14:22 CDT 2013

Does an ODBC linked table actually use the DSN for anything during the use of the database?  It
appears that all of the tables linked to SQL Server reference a very specific "name" for a DSN for
each and every table.  Given that the tables are actually located in various different databases,
this makes sense.  However on my dev machine, not knowing about these specific names, I just made up
a name for the DSN when my new machine did not have any DSNs and I created new ones.  The "DSN
refresh" code goes to greate lengths to insert those expected DSN names from a table of connection
information.  I fail to see how it is actually used (or the "description" is actually used.

AFAICT the connection string in the linked tabledef references a specific file name and yet if that
file is entirely missing there doesn't seem to be any harm done.

What don't I know about this process?

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it