[AccessD] World's Largest Access App?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 10:54:49 CDT 2013

1. It's an app intended for factories, and more specifically factories
interested in or compelled to comply with the ISO 9000 standard. That
means, among other things, handling documents and tracking their progress
and revisions. That is a radical oversimplification of the app, consider it
a bird's-eye glimpse.
While it is often recommended that an Access file store pointers to
documents, in this case that is the wrong approach, due to version-control
issues, etc. So the docs and their templates are housed within the
database.

2. How many users? That depends on the site. The most probable answer is
fewer than 5, all managers in the factory.

3. Size: FE ~30MB, BE customer-specific but maximum so far is about 20 GB.

4. Quantity of Objects (I'm not about to re-run the analysis, so these are
recollections from the previous analysis): About 350 tables, 700 forms,
1000 queries and a few dozen reports; lots and lots of modules, some
containing licensed code and some written at home. Without counting them, I
would estimate that there are a hundred, perhaps two hundred.

5. Number of macros: 0

6. Version: he develops in 2010 and I in 2007. No problems have emerged yet
in this side-by-side situation.

7. In my limited experience, it has never crapped out. I'm not sure what
the contemporary terms are, but I'll improvise. My client is the developer
of said app, and my role is Access+MySQL mentor or something. The client
sells licenses for this app to firms/factories to whom ISO 9000 compliance
is critical. There are lots of those, so he has found a lovely niche.

A.