[AccessD] my situation....

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Mar 1 08:30:47 CST 2013

Mark,

<<A grisly discovery from reviewing the data: some of these union workers
are
making more per hour than I am....plus they get benefits....and they have no
formal college education either.>>

 Keep in mind that they do have to pay union dues, which are fairly hefty.

 And despite "no education", for something like a crane operator, there is
but it's done on the job.  With just about all construction jobs, you
apprentice for a number of years before you can become a journeymen, and
then more years before you can become a foreman or master.  With union dues,
you don't earn significant dollars until you get to the later stages.

 The other thing you don't think about is the physical toll it takes on you.
Crane operators not so much, but most involved with construction have bodies
that are worn out in their mid-forties.  It's not uncommon to see them with
double knee and hip replacements, shoulder problems, and significant loss of
hearing by that age.

 They have their problems too, just different ones.

 As far as your feelings about contract work, you either need to not work as
hard or charge more<g>.

 It's tough though charging more.   As I said many years ago, developers was
becoming more or less a commodity market rather then a specialized one like
it once was.  Developers/programmers, etc despite the education are for the
most part not paid much more then your average auto mechanic unless your
lucky.

 Our industry has changed quite a bit and unless your lucky to land in on
the hottest technology at the moment and get the timing right, it's hard to
make big bucks on an hourly basis.

 The other issue is the attitude in this country that is shared by what
seems like more then not now; you take whatever you can get away with.

 My son just did something yesterday where he was honest in a job interview
and as a result, probably won't get the job (he has some minor surgery
coming up).

 His comment?  I'm tried of always hearing from everyone that "good guys
always finish last".

Jim.