[AccessD] What the List Did For Me

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Fri Mar 1 09:03:42 CST 2013

I first saw database stuff in the late 1980s with D-Base.  I was
thrilled with the beauty and elegance of the solutions made possible by
relating tables to one another.  In the early to mid 1990s, I made the
acquaintance of Borland's Paradox, first in its DOS life, then as it was
remodeled in Windows.  In the midst of thinking I would commit my
energies to Paradox, Access came along.  At first, I thought there was
no way I could trust a single container to hold all the precious objects
of a database, when I was so accustomed to individual files for all the
individual parts of a relational database.  But, I came to be very
comfortable with it, after all.  It was in the late 1990s that I
actually started crafting databases for others, or remodeling existing
databases.  The local Commission on Aging had a database in a program
that would not make the trip around the Y2K issues and needed to be
recreated.  I did that in Access 97. It was a big learning experience
for me - it took me nearly ten times as many hours to develop as I
thought it would - but that sucker is still working and has been updated
a few times as the Access versions have changed.  For the first few
years, the IT team would contact me and we'd work together on the
updates, but over time they took it over.

This list has helped me to become better than I was when I created that
CoA database.  I learn all the time from people who have been at this
longer than I, and who are more naturally gifted in the fundamentals
than I.  Were it not for the generosity of the members of this list, I
don't think I would be able to continue growing as a programmer and
database developer.  I know i wouldn't have the confidence to offer my
services to others.  The people out there that I deal with are often
completely unaware of what it takes to craft a functional database.  It
helps to have friends who understand the issues and are willing to help
find solutions to what often appear to be impossible situations.  A
great thank you to the list.

And, to you, Rocky - CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Making good use of the
knowledge your friends have shared with you is also worthy of praise.

Best,

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields at torchlake.com
231-322-2787