[AccessD] New Approach

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 4 18:08:27 CST 2013

Hi Hans:

I think I did cover that point.

"... though there are very little (no) differences other than cosmetic
between desktop and server. They are both fully multi-user and use the same
kernel. "

I think that having no GUI is ultimate cosmetic. ;-) According to the Ubuntu
site, their server and desktop have been completely the same (other than the
GUI) and there have only been a few modest difference starting as of the
12.04 version.

As for Microsoft not having servers with out a GUI, there is their latest
offers, a Hyper-V Server 2012. It is free to download and run but it is
totally command prompt driven. I understand there is a couple of packages
out there, if needing some GUI but they are basic in the extreme.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/hyper-v-server/default.aspx

A friend is running his servers with the package and he is very pleased with
it. It runs everything as virtual drives. It is not as fast as Linux but a
lot faster than the regular MS Server 2012 and it is supposed to scale a lot
easier and has full support for the Cloud as well as Samba server and Linux
integration. (Why the GUI should affect the basic functionality I have no
idea but that is what I am being told).

As a point of interest the DBA website is running off such a server.

I think most of us old guys grew up with the command prompt, with various
minis, main-frames, UNIX and even DOS and would have little problem going
back but only if demanded as we have become a little gentrified. You have to
completely blame Apple for starting the whole GUI trend. ;-)

Jim