[AccessD] New Approach

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Tue Mar 5 17:01:07 CST 2013

I have moved my Wife's small business IT ops to Office 365 and it has been brilliant.  Their database requirements were fairly modest and are now all handled by Sharepoint lists rather Access or a custom SQL Server set up.  Huge upside is all their IP is now on Sharepoint and can be access by any authorised user via any web browser on any device.  They also get a rock solid version of MS Exchange so they now have all their calendars online with visibility on when they are available or not etc - just like if you were working in a large corporate.

All their client notes are now stored on Onenote and upload to the sharepoint site.  Again, this way the client notes can be access remotely and by any user which is great for them if the have to cover another therapist when she is sick or not available.

Of course this is great for me as the maintenance on their IT systems is now minimal - MS update and support the software so that is way less work for me.  She pays a small monthly fee (about $6 per user) and you can add and remove users as required.   The only issue was the single Mac user (there is always one ;)) I ended up putting Windows 7 on Bootcamp for them as Office Mac doesn't support Onenote and Office 365 works a lot better with native Office 2010 (as you would imagine).

Anyway - I am a huge fan.  Loving it. Saved gobs of time and lots of money using this approach.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I think for many small businesses it is just brilliant.

Cheers
Darryl.