[AccessD] Access and SQL Server - Where is the work done - How Many Rows are Shipped Across the Network

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:11:05 CDT 2013

I am in the process of converting local queries to pass through queries.  In order to do that I have
to go construct the queries in SSMS, get it working, then pull the SQL back into Access, place it in
the PTQ and save it.  Once I do that, the entire thing is run on SQL Server and only data returned.

If the query is written in Access then "selection" data will be shipped just to decide what actual
data needs to be pulled.  In general Access pulls both sides of joins and all fields in where
clauses.  That is used to then ask for specific rows.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it