[AccessD] Update: [WAS] Big Problem & Little Problem - Live Date Tomorrow

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Wed Mar 13 09:26:10 CDT 2013

Yes, you are correct. I just wasn't concerned w/spacing yet. I don't know what I did, but I had a bit of a double-problem going on, and that led me to abandon the String function prematurely. It is fine now.

Actually, they sent me all new verbiage this late yesterday afternoon, and I changed it before sending the updated copy this morning. They completely re-worded, what is, in my terms, "P5" (paragraph 5). I really don't like how they did it either...it had been short and sweet and universal, but now it is confusing and gender-biased, w/random capitalized words...like the word "Courthouse" and I do not know why. I'm on really good terms w/their office manager, who is also my contact for this project...she and I actually met before either of us worked here, almost 21 yrs ago...we spent a weekend together at a local amusement park/campground...as dates of other people who knew each other. So, I informed her of my distaste for the new verbiage and asked if we could consider changing it.

I only worked an hour over last night, but had most of it done...only this new text to do, which I knew I could whip up in the morning. Once I found the issue, which took about 40 minutes, it only took me about 10 minutes to "fix" it. I ran a quick test and headed home...had to take my daughter out for her birthday dinner last night. It is all going too smooth...I'm waiting for the hammer to drop here! The ran it through some tests this morning, using multiple users and they reported that it "looks great!" I blanked out all the test data and we are live...it wasn't suppose to be until about 10:30 - 11:00, but they actually ended up needing it early this morning...Grand Jury was convened, and witnesses were going through at about 9:30...so far so good.

I don't remember why I did things this way...I do remember there was a reason though! Now that I've got it working, I don't think there is justification to go back and rework it, so I'll probably just leave it alone.

What I would like to do though...I used to hide the Access environment, and I don't know if that can still be done in 2007/2010....anybody know? Can you point me in a direction on this? I like for the users to be "outside of Access"...it seems the "respect" the program a bit more. When I've left things in Access, I tend to get interns and such, messing w/the code. When it doesn't look like Access, it seems to get left alone.

But, I'd like to thank all for helping me out. I guess I panicked a bit soon w/the String conversion issue, but I really needed to work out that duplicate voucher number problem, and this list, once again, came through for me. As I said before, it isn't always the answers that I get directly from other members...God knows I do get plenty of them...but the thing I believe goes a bit unnoticed here, is how "talking it through" can help. For me, I'm in an IT shop where I am really the only programmer...we have "Senior Programmers" here, but they really don't do what I do, and they almost never create, but rather work w/our financial/HR package and do reports and such. I have network guys here, who I do interact with because I do some of that work as well. And, I have field techs here, which I used to do. But, there really isn't anyone to bounce things off of, and this is where this list is so valuable to me.

Anyhow, Thanks to all for helping out!

>>> jack drawbridge <jackandpat.d at gmail.com> 3/12/2013 3:55 PM >>>
John,

You may need a leading space in this line
P5 = P5 + "payment in full of witness fees."