[AccessD] Source control Access

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 16:11:30 CDT 2013

 >do I have to rebuy licenses for software that will run under vm?

The license says it can only run (or perhaps be installed) on a single machine.  You have to meet
that criteria.  If you have an old Access 97 hanging around that you no longer run and you install
it on a VM, then no.  The OS for the VM however needs to be only running in one place as well.

It appears that Windows Home Server is extremely cheap ATM.  I bought 5 copies of that for IIRC
about $39 each and use that as the OS on the VM.  I couldn't touch that price for any other OS. But
then I wasn't trying to make a million variations of windows and office either.

BTW all the license says is that it can't run at the same time. It is my considerable lack of legal
experience and my opinion that if you were to (for example) buy Windows 2007, install it on a VM,
then clone that VM, then install Office 97 on one of them, Office 2000 on another, Office 2003 on
another, Office 2007 on another etc etc., as long as you only ran one of those test environments at
a time... the OS is only running on a single machine at a time.

You are at least meeting the spirit of the law.

Licensing for VMs is a mess.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it