[AccessD] Access Workgroup Security [WAS: A97 and Win 7]

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Wed Mar 20 07:14:43 CDT 2013

Well, I've pretty much thrown up the white flag. I hope to still get security off and upgrade this down the road, but for now, I'm done. I've been working on it since last Wednesday...I put my entire Thursday and Friday into it, a large chunk of Monday, and almost all of yesterday. My buddy here is creating me a machine w/XP and then we're going to have this one user operate w/two computers...sharing a monitor. The department is really breathing down my neck...their director is...well, I can't publicly type what she is.

I'm not able to argue this case either way...I definitely bow to the experience and knowledge of most of you out here. But, I honestly don't see how it does work. I mean, I'm not a newbie...I've been a tech and a programmer for 20 yrs now (I know...some of you have much more under your belt), and I've beat some pretty interesting problems. I'm just trying to say, I'm not normally beat by something like this. But, I've tried this on several PCs now and I've just gotten nowhere.

That problem w/the Tahoma font...that is one I cannot see a way past. Every clue I find points to it being a must to install SP2. And, to do this, you must rename/move the Tahoma font (and another). I see no way to accomplish this, and the SP2 install bombs out every time.

Now, I will say, one MY computer, when I look at the jet version, it does not report, what seems to be, a sufficient version number. I don't know how I got there, but it says it is now 3.51.3328.0 ...SP3 w/enhanced security as I read it.

And, like you say I am also seeing the issue w/the absense of SYSTEM.MDW. This, I suspect might be an issue w/Active Directory. We are most of the way through a network migration to AD...we've been a Novell shop since I got here 18 yrs ago...and I came from another job that also had Novell. So, this part could very well be my own ignorance of AD. I did find suggestions that this error has to do w/basically rights issues...the ability of the user to write to /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32. But, on my PC I know I have these rights...well, I am 95% sure...I can't claim anything at 100% being new as I am to the AD environment.  But, I have done some tests, and I've move SYSTEM.MDW in and out of this directory.

I do know that I never had any of these problems w/any machine previous to Win 7, and w/Win 7 I've never had a problem w/any other version of Access 2000 and up. But, again, I haven't played w/ANY of this, since we've gone over to AD.

So, I'm sure I'll be picking your brains some more...I'm hoping y'all will keep this subject open and offer any advice you think of. But, for now, I've gotta do what I can to get this on their desk and working...hopefully today.

Oh...it probably goes w/out saying, but I have no problem saying it...Thank you all very much for ANY advice or tips you have given me thus far...on this and any topic I've offered up. I really do appreciate the time any person takes to offer up anything. There have been responses that haven't panned out, that have actually helped me w/some other issue down the road...seems to happen quite a bit for me actually...so Thank you to ALL.

>>> "Stuart McLachlan" <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg> 3/19/2013 6:01 PM >>>
Ahem,

Windows 64 bit runs any 32 bit application automatically using WOW64,  just as 32 bit
Windows would run any 16bit (DOS) application using WOW32.

There is no technical reason why you can't run Access97 on Win64.

All of John's problems seem to relate to.

1.   The known problem with certain font names during installation of A97 on later versions of
Windows.

2.  Problems with the Access security and the absence of System.mdw. This is not specific to
A97, he would have the same problem with A2000 or A2003 if they use Access built in
security and an mdw file.

--
Stuart