[AccessD] Access Workgroup Security [WAS: A97 and Win 7]

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu Mar 28 07:48:38 CDT 2013

Well, this was my plan for this week. I got the program up and running for them, but I wanted to do this in advance of any further problems down the road...get rid of security and then see if the program will update w/out much (any?) help.

I wasn't looking forward to it, because there are 146 objects...and I did not realize I had to do them one at a time.  Then I got the bright idea to do it from a different angle...create a new DB and import it all, rather than the export.

But...neither of these ideas has panned out for me. Both of these processes give the message, "Access has stopped working" and then "Access is shutting down."

I swear this whole project has been cursed. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge, but I wasn't prepared for this. Literally every single time I've made progress, I was met w/yet another challenge.

However...I DID finally get A97 to run on MY Win 7 PC. I honestly am not sure how I did it though...I was stuck at the point where I could not run the SR2, because of the font issue, but then at one point I checked the version and it seemed to be correct. So, I got into trying some more, and at one point I got a message about the SYSTEM.MDW file. While helping a workmate w/something they were working on, I ran across some instructions that clicked on the light bulb and I thought, "this might work on my PC." These were instructions that address the MDW file better, and since I've never used Workgroup Security, I am just not all that familiar w/this.  It actually worked.

Of course I ran into a couple more issues, but these had more to do w/our specific network...we are in the middle of a migration from Novell to Win AD, and there were some mapping issues.

While I'd been doing all this, another workmate had offered to setup one of our not so old, yet decommissioned PCs. He loaded it up w/Win XP and Access 97. Even there though we had issues. Finally got it up and going, and then had to deal with some missing libraries. There were four of these. Two of them were standard things, and I just took care of it as I normally would...downloaded and registered the library file. But, there were two that I didn't understand why they were even there...they were GroupWise library files. I figured, he shouldn't be using these, and I couldn't think of any instances where they would be used, so I just deleted them. This caused some compile errors and I was getting quite ticked...this was an outside programmer that had been brought in, behind my back...I'm already not real happy w/it...but now this guy has done things that I see as...for lack of a better word...STUPIDLY!

I got past these last few hurdles and we got this PC to the user. As a little side note, the user was so happy that they are baking treats...for the tech that put the PC on her desk. Nevermind the programmer who spent a good chunk of his week on this thing ;o)

>>> Charlotte Foust <charlotte.foust at gmail.com> 3/27/2013 11:30 AM >>>
Can you copy the object from the database into a new database in whatever format?  That would get rid of security as well.

Charlotte

Notice: This electronic transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected information. If you are not the intended recipient, or if you believe you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information, is strictly prohibited. Niagara County is not responsible for the content of any external hyperlink referenced in this email or any email.
IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY BY EMAIL AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE ALONG WITH ANY PAPER OR ELECTRONIC COPIES.
Thank you for your cooperation.