[AccessD] Nz trap with dates in queries

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at aig.com
Fri May 3 08:06:11 CDT 2013

And I just confirmed that the function is only called once.

I created this function

Function myNow() As Date
    Debug.Print "myNow called"
    myNow = Now()
End Function

And then ran this query on a table with 125k rows

SELECT MUR_Data_tbl.[Applicant ID], myNow() AS aDate
FROM MUR_Data_tbl;

And the function was called exactly once.

Then I defined the sub below to open a recordset on that SQL (db.Execute of course is for action queries only), and again the function was called exactly once.

Sub openAQuery()
Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT MUR_Data_tbl.[Applicant ID], myNow() AS aDate FROM MUR_Data_tbl;", dbOpenDynaset)
    rs.MoveLast
    Debug.Print rs.RecordCount
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing
End Sub

Lastly I modified the query it include the use of NZ on a field that does have nulls....

SELECT MUR_Data_tbl.[Applicant ID], myNow() AS aDate, nz([MedsEnd],myNow()) AS ME, MUR_Data_tbl.MedsEnd
FROM MUR_Data_tbl;

And still the function is called only once per use. Once for the aDate calculation and once for the use in Nz().

So the question of which is faster below is moot I think.

>>    DateNotNull: CDate(Nz([DateFieldWithNulls], Date()))

>>     DateNotNull: IIf([DateFieldWithNulls] Is Null, Date(),
[DateFieldWithNulls])

Lambert