[AccessD] Questions about Attachments

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue May 28 15:20:13 CDT 2013

Thanks, Dan. I'll give your code a spin and see if I like the result. At
this writing, I'm still in favour of the pointer method rather than the
attachment method, but I'm willing to entertain new ideas. Thanks.

Arthur

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Dan Waters <df.waters at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Arthur,
>
> Coincidence!  Yesterday I wrote the following procedure to store
> photographs
> for a small inventory management system.  I made the file name unique by
> incorporating the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second.  I also
> included the unique Stock Number because someone invariably wants to
> directly find the file by the stock number name.  There can be more than
> one
> photo for each stock number.
>
> CleanFileName is a library procedure used to strip illegal characters from
> the Stock Number which can't be used in a file name.
>     Const IllegalCharacters As String = "#;:?/\+[]{}()<>`|^*~=@$!_~%" &
> """"
> & vbTab
>
> Procedure:
> '------------------------------
> Private Sub butGetPhoto_Click()
>
>     Dim stgFilePathOriginal As String
>     Dim stgInventoryPhotoPath As String
>     Dim fso As FileSystemObject
>     Dim stgPhotoFileName As String
>     Dim stgFilePathNew As String
>     Dim stg As String
>     Dim lngInventoryID As Long
>
>     '-- Storing a new file
>     stgFilePathOriginal = GetFilePath
>     If stgFilePathOriginal = "" Then Exit Sub
>
>     Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>
>     stgInventoryPhotoPath = CurrentProject.Path & "\InventoryPhotos\"
>     If fso.FolderExists(stgInventoryPhotoPath) = False Then
>         fso.CreateFolder stgInventoryPhotoPath
>     End If
>
>     stgPhotoFileName = "SN" & Me.Parent.txtStockNumber
>     stgPhotoFileName = CleanFileName(stgPhotoFileName)
>     stgPhotoFileName = Replace(stgPhotoFileName, " ", "")
>     stgPhotoFileName = stgPhotoFileName & "_" & Format(Now(), "yyyy") &
> Format(Now(), "mm") & Format(Now(), "dd") & "_" & Format(Now(), "HhNnSs")
>
>     stgFilePathNew = stgInventoryPhotoPath & stgPhotoFileName & "." &
> fso.GetExtensionName(stgFilePathOriginal)
>
>     fso.CopyFile stgFilePathOriginal, stgFilePathNew, True
>
>     '-- Save file path
>     lngInventoryID = Me.Parent.txtInventoryID
>     stg = "INSERT INTO tblPhotographs ( InventoryID, PhotoFilePath )" _
>           & " VALUES (" & lngInventoryID & ", '" & stgFilePathNew & "')"
>     DBEngine(0)(0).Execute stg, dbSeeChanges Or dbFailOnError
>
> End Sub

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr