[AccessD] Poll: Question for Access Developers

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Nov 12 12:46:17 CST 2013

 Hi Arthur --

Access 1.0 - 2007 compiler, converting mdbs with VBA modules into VB.NET/C# sources, compiling them into DLLs and linking with  .NET-based runtime engine (EXEs and DLLs) would be useful I suppose.
VBA as it's now - is 'evil' (I mean not VBA language but its unstable for 'legal tricks' engine) - it should be substituted with VB.NET/C#, or interpreted using VB.NET/C# based new engine.
In theory such a compiler compiling into .NET exe can be done (I do not see any technical obstacles) as the current version of VB.NET/C# covers VB6/VBA (including dynamic binding, eval etc.) - actually current versions of VB.NET and C# have much more powerful and very effectively working late binding VB6/VBA have never had. All the MS Access 1.0-2007 functionality can be programmed/interpreted by using VB.NET/C#...

In practice I think Visual Studio LightSwitch ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ff796201.aspx ) is going to occupy the niche of "MS Access 1.0-2007 compiler". So the chances of "MS Access 1.0 - 2007 exe compiler" to appear are very low. I'd be happy if I'd be found wrong with my last statement.

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:05 PM -05:00 from Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>:
>Imagine that some firm emerged with an Access compiler, that skipped all
>the Run-Time stuff and generated an EXE that supported everything that in
>V.1.0 supported everything up to and including Access 2007, but thanks to a
>switch could permanently hide various Access objects such as the Database
>window etc.. Would you be interested in such a product? Or alternatively,
>would you just prefer to move on to another product such as Visual Studio,
>Alpha Anywhere, etc.?
>
>--
>Arthur
>--