[AccessD] Problems Exporting Access Summary Report to Excel

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Wed Oct 30 13:10:25 CDT 2013

All,

In the past, I have experimented with exporting Access Reports to Excel,
but I have never had much success.

Most of the reports that I have worked with in the past were fairly
complex (dynamic sorts, dynamic filters, conditional formatting,
sub-totals, etc.)

Recently, one of our users has requested that a rather simple Access
report be exported to Excel.
This report reads data from a purchased package's General Ledger tables.

The detail lines of the report are not visible.  There are groupings on
Month/Year and on the General Ledger Account Number.  Here is a small
example of what the report looks like.

Account-AAA  Total $1,000
Account-BBB  Total $2,000
Account-CCC  Total $3,000
   01 2013 Month Total $6,000

Account-AAA  Total $1,100
Account-BBB  Total $2,200
Account-CCC  Total $3,300
   02 2013 Month Total $6,600

There are many records in the underlying GL table.  The use of Access
Report "Groups" makes it very easy to obtain the sub-totals at the two
levels (by Account within Month).

When I try to export the report to Excel, however, things do not turn
out very nicely. For example, the Month and Year fields are not shown.
Instead, "AccessTotalsAmount:" is shown for each cell in this Excel
column.

What I am really trying to ask, is if there is a way to employ report
groupings and then be able to successfully export such a summary report
to Excel.

Perhaps there is another way to do this.

Thanks,
Brad