[AccessD] DDJ C Obfuscation Contests

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Mon Sep 16 13:31:42 CDT 2013

>> The idea is to write a small program that works, but to make it as
incomprehensible to other >> programmers as possible.

Along these same lines (having fun by messing with others)

The year was 1975.  Mainframe Realm.
No terminals, no PCs.
Punch Cards for input, green-bar paper for output

There was some characters that our mainframe printer could not print.
The "Print chain" (sort of like a chain saw blade) did not have all of
the characters.

Initiation for new programmers... give them a COBOL program listing that
had program code that used characters that did not print.

This may be the reason why so many of the young programmers lost their
hair during this era  :-)

Brad

Anyone here besides me old enough to recall the C Obfuscation contests
Doctor Dobb's Journal used to run?

The idea is to write a small program that works, but to make it as
incomprehensible to other programmers as possible.

Perhaps we should liven up this list with such a contest.

--
Arthur