[AccessD] compacting from code - improper error message instructions

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 18:10:35 CDT 2014

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCompactDatabase fails for predictable reasons but
interesting how even the Access development team did not keep up with their
own interface changes, writing in the 2010 environment, as this function is
in the Database Tools menu.

     You cannot compact the open database by running a macro or Visual Basic
code.
     Instead of using a macro or code, click the File tab and then click
Compact and Repair database.

Seems like the development team at Access doesn't even support themselves,
let alone the user community.

Maybe if I wasn't ticked that I couldn't compact from code, which I
personally think we ought to be able to do, I would have let this slide.