[AccessD] New thrd: dates

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 14:46:03 CDT 2014

I am really sorry I asked this one now! My question "what is meant by a GUI date just needed a yes or no to my illustration, to wit, " Is this a bound textbox reading a date from the back end?"; [or if not that, something else - and if so, what?].

Jim said:
<<GUI would be the FE application 'page/window display' facility.
I don't know what that is. I have never heard of anything so technical in answer to what I thought was a simple question, and that is why, if there are no other answers out there, I withdraw the question.

Jim further said the effect would depend on
<<1) the format the data is put into by the BE
I already posted:
<<my backend had Aug 4th 2014 stored as 08/04/2014
As I was discussing an Access only solution, I think I pretty much covered that this is an Access Date stored as 08/04/2014.
I cannot see how I could be clearer.

Jim paraphrases my lengthier question regarding SQL statements that incorporate the "#" delimiter and a direct reading of the value (as opposed to the text property) of
	txtEffectivedate as

Re
#" & txteffectivedate & "#)"
#" & cdate(txteffectivedate) & "#)"

I had written (*emphasis* added):
> When *I take that value* to enter it into the database (remember backend
> is
> US) would I write
>
> Sql = "Insert into myTable (name, address, effective_dt) values ('" &
> txtname & "','" & txtaddress & "', #" & txteffectivedate & "#)"

> Or
> Sql = "Insert into myTable (name, address, effective_dt) values ('" &
> txtname & "','" & txtaddress & "', #" & cdate(txteffectivedate) & "#)"

I don't feel Jim has given me an answer and I am asking again for someone in this List to give a yes to one (and if so, which), yes to either, no to both (and if so, what is the right way).
Reason:  Jim ventures:
<<If that is 'submitted' as a text query to a USA DBMS, expect to enter the values in MM/DD/YYYY format

I am not asking about a pass through query, so I don't know what the BE has to do with it. I am talking about DoCmd.RunSQL or CurrentDB.Execute and the like. Again, this Front End is a running European instance of MS Access and Interface. I am going to continue to assume that the FE is driving the inquiry, althout it continues to be unclear to me what the "value" really is at any point in time. This is new information being put into a record, and I believe that the back-end will have a different idea of what is meant by 04/08/2014 than the front-end will.

I cannot test this (though testing it would certainly be very simple if I had the right environment) because I don't have a European Front End to test it with. I guess I will not worry about it for the foreseeable future.