[AccessD] Change Order within Access 2007 Report Group

Kovacs, Bruce bruce.kovacs at urs.com
Tue Dec 9 17:00:12 CST 2014

I have an action item report that I can sort by various fields (due date, action by person, etc.) using an option group (that sets a global variable gReportType) and then by ascending or descending order using another option group (that sets another global variable gActionSortOrder).

I set the global variables in the command button Click event on the form:
        If Me!optSort = 1 Then
            gReportType = "ByActionNo"
        ElseIf Me!optSort = 2 Then
            gReportType = "ByActionBy"
        ElseIf Me!optSort = 3 Then
            gReportType = "ByDueDate"
        End If

        If Me!optSortOrder = 1 Then
            gActionSortOrder = "Ascending"
        Else
            gActionSortOrder = "Descending"
        End If

In the report's Open event, I have the following:

    Dim MySortOrder As String
    'Ascending = False, Descending = True
    If GetActionSortOrder() = "Ascending" Then
        MySortOrder = "False"
    Else
        MySortOrder = "True"
    End If

    If GetReportType() = "ByDueDate" Then
        Me.GroupLevel(1).ControlSource = "DateDue"
        Me.GroupLevel(1).SortOrder = MySortOrder
        Me.GroupLevel(2).ControlSource = "ActionItemNo"
        Me.GroupLevel(2).SortOrder = False
    ElseIf GetReportType() = "ByActionBy" Then
        Me.GroupLevel(1).ControlSource = "ActionBy"
        Me.GroupLevel(1).SortOrder = MySortOrder
        Me.GroupLevel(2).ControlSource = "DateDue"
        Me.GroupLevel(2).SortOrder = False
    Else                                                'SortByActionNumber
        Me.GroupLevel(1).ControlSource = "ActionItemNo"
        Me.GroupLevel(1).SortOrder = MySortOrder
    End If

Not the cleanest code, but it works.

Bruce Kovacs
Quality Assurance Director