[AccessD] Multiple Unbound Text Boxes After Update Event - ADD ON QUESTION

John W Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:32:29 CST 2014

John,

I need more information before suggesting a solution.

1) How many text boxes?
2) How many groups?
3) Bound or unbound forms / controls?

Before you do anything, you need to decide on the data storage method.

1) One big record with a field for each answer for all three groups.  Works OK if the questions are
carved in stone.  Yea right.
2) Three tables, one for each group, designed like #1 above.
3) A record for each answer (probably the "best" solution) with an FK back to the question being
answered and another to the "person" record of the test taker.

I tend to think code in OO.  IOW this is not a form but a process where the form is an interface to
the process.  I will just throw a couple of ideas out.

Given three groups of questions,

1)  you could do three subforms.
2) You could do three tabs
3) You could do three containers
4) You could do all the text boxes in one big mess.

The reason I ask all of this is to discover how complex the code behind the form is going to be.  I
despise forms with a mile long printout of code, with two hundred event handlers, the same thing
over and over for each control of the same type.

John W. Colby

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it