[AccessD] Alpha Proficiency Package

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Feb 12 06:58:21 CST 2014

<<it makes more sense to receive the
updates, plug ins etc.>>

There's pro's and con's to it.  It will be interesting to see how the
subscription model evolves.   Many vendors are going to it so they have a
steady revenue stream.  Time will tell if it will work well or not.

While it seems like getting a steady stream of new features might be nice,
it can work against you.  In regards to Office 365, one of the things that's
surfaced is that you get new updates on Microsoft's time table, whether you
want them or not.  That means companies now need to deal with user training
on a constant basis.  Also means they are always dealing with the newest
problems, for which many times there is no quick fix for.  No longer can
they purchase something, train on it, learn it inside and out, sit on it,
and re-coup their investment.

There's also the issue of the features/updates themselves.  Many vendors are
now pressured to bring out features on a regular basis, otherwise folks feel
like their not getting their money's worth.   Problem is, many of the
features are worthless and if introduced on their own, would fall flat.

Team Viewer is like this.  They committed to one major release a year.  But
it's obvious that their struggling to come up with new features to include.
I'm still on version 7 because there has been nothing compelling in versions
8 or 9 to bother upgrading for.  Their not quite a subscription model, but
your always encouraged to continually upgrade and that's their pitch.   Buy,
then continually upgrade at a reduced price.  If you don't upgrade, the
upgrade price goes up each release you skip until you get back to full
price.  That's costly if you decide you don't want a release, but if a
release offers nothing, your spending money for nothing.

It will be very interesting to see how the pace of innovation is affected by
the subscription model.  I believe subscription prices will trend lower and
along with it, the pace of innovation will slow.

Jim.